Sunday, September 11, 2011

Deferred Hope

Let's just get this on the table....I am the worst blogger in the history of the interweb! Now that that's been admitted, we can all move on in freedom (meaning, I will most likely, not blog very often).

I made it to India! I've been in this amazing land for almost 2 weeks, and it has been an incredible, chaotic, overwhelming, crazy and wonderful journey thus far. There are too many stories to type in this space, but if you'd like other perspectives - visit my partner's in crime- Natalie and Taylor, who offer wonderful insight into our journeys together. We recently moved in with our host family, and they are some of the most incredible people I have ever met. I have already learned so much about hospitality, service, and grace. They have welcomed us into their home, lives, and hearts, and we could not be gifted with a better family to live out our 4 months with.

Currently, we work at Sari Bari 3 days a week, and a Missionaries of Charity home 2 days a week. The ladies who work at Sari Bari have such generous hearts and have freely welcomed us into their workspace.  They eagerly assist us with our Bengali lessons, and it is a site to see! As I muddle through Bengali, they graciously correct me, and offer crucial advice on how to marry a good man- the latter of which is always received with a  hearty laugh.


The kids who we work with at the Missionaries of Charity home are tenacious and full of an infectious joyful spirit. They will most likely live in a Missionaries of Charity home their entire life, which means they will see many volunteers come and go, but the Sisters, Brothers, women, and men who work there day after day, and year after year, fill the kids lives with laughter and love. 

The WMF community in Kolkata knows intimately the concept of deferred hope. As they work with, and serve the women of Sari Bari - they grasp onto the hope that is to come - even when it seems that all hope has been drowned out by the daily struggles and toils of fighting for freedom from the visible and invisible chains that encompass so many in this city.


So, as I begin my journey - I too hold fast to deferred  hope. I hope for what I cannot see and do not feel. I hope for freedom, peace, and love for all.  I hope for the light that is not squelched by darkness.


Love all around,

Erin 



1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear from you! Don't give up...I would love to hear all of the stories you have; there is plenty of space on this blog...Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete